A lot of small businesses don’t really think about the importance of colours, and their meanings, when they choose to design their logo, or in the creation of their website. But colour can have a powerful influence over how we feel about something. Some businesses have known about this for a long time, and their colour has burned their brand into our brains.
- What brand do you think of when you mix “blue and red”?
- What brand do you think of when you mix “red and yellow”?
- How bout “green and white”?
Scroll to the bottom for MY answers, but the point is, if your answer didn’t even come close to mine, the point is, you were probably able to think of A brand anyway, irrelevant of the brand.
Also we need to take into account that colours have different meanings in different countries and cultures.
So let’s have a look into the meaning of colours, and what this says about you, and what this communicates to your customers:
- often associated with depth and stability
- symbolizes trust, loyalty, wisdom, confidence, intelligence, faith, and truth
- tranquility and calmness
- means energy, war, danger, strength, power, determination as well as passion, desire, and love
- very emotionally intense colour
- commonly associated with energy
- associated with joy, happiness, intellect, and energy
- often associated with food
- if overused, yellow may have a disturbing effect
- associated with light, goodness, innocence, and purity
- considered to be the colour of perfection
- associated with coolness and cleanliness
- associated with power, elegance, formality, death, evil, and mystery
- denotes strength and authority
- considered to be a very formal, elegant, and prestigious color
- the colour of nature symbolizing growth, harmony, freshness, and fertility
- has great healing power and is the most restful color for the human eye
- directly related to nature, so you can use it to promote ‘green’ products
- conservative color and good for use as a background colour
- Security, maturity, reliability, composed, intelligence and modesty
- Neutral, non-committal, and cold sophisticated
- associated with joy, sunshine, and the tropics
- represents enthusiasm, fascination, happiness, creativity, determination, attraction, success, encouragement, and stimulation
- has a high acceptance amongst the younger market segment
- creates a neutral, comfortable and open atmosphere
- communicates credibility, solidity, strength and maturity
- Calming, stress reducing, earthy, natural, kind, non-assertive, and passive
- combines the stability of blue and the energy of red
- symbolizes power, nobility, luxury, and ambition
- associated with wisdom, dignity, independence, creativity, mystery, and magic
1. Pepsi 2. McDonalds 3. Starbucks
(ps. what is it about the big brands in America being so good at colour marketing?)